✔ Secure barriers. It is advised that you install at least a four-foot gate/netting/fence around your pool.
✔ Empty portable pools: When not in use, drain inflatable pools. It only takes an inch of water for an accident.
✔ Remove toys from pool: When the pool is not in use, remove toys from the pool so they do not lure young children in, unsupervised.
✔ Follow or establish pool rules: When at a public pool, abide by the pool rules.
✔ When splashing at home, establish household pool rules to respect, like these rules from the YMCA:
- No running
- No dunking or pushing
- Always jump feet-first
- Kids do not swim unless under adult supervision
- Kids should not jump in the water to save a friend- instead reach or throw an object to pull them to safety. “Reach, throw, don’t go”
- Do not play “holding your breath games”
- Use the bathroom, not the pool
- Stay away from drain and pool filter covers
✔ Always keep a safety kit handy: scissors, life ring, reaching pole or rope. Be sure to keep emergency contacts handy as well.