We often put a lot of effort into exercise and nutrition to stay healthy, but maintaining healthy relationships with your loved ones is also a key part of your wellbeing. In Healthy Relationships Series: Part 1, we talked about what a healthy relationship looks like, and what it doesn’t, but how can you maintain healthy communication and connection in your relationships? We’ve got some local healthy relationship activities/ date ideas to try with your partner, friends, and family. Strengthen your relationships, mind, and body at the same time!
Walk & Talk!
Communication doesn’t have to be a serious sit-down. It can be as easy as taking a walk and catching up on life! This communication environment allows you to eliminate distractions of work, school, phone calls, and emails and focus on enjoying time spent with that person. Harvard University reported that walking regularly, especially with companionship, can even help prevent depression and dementia. It also means you’re getting active and breathing fresh air! All around a great activity for your mental health.
Here are some local parks and trails where you can take a walk, talk with a pal, and connect!
Sweat Together, Stay Together!
If you’re looking for more of a challenge, grab your workout buddy! Psychology Today stated that “A growing body of evidence suggests that couples who sweat together really do stay together.” We’ve got some awesome workout activities to try together:
– Make it a competition! If you and your loved one are naturally competitive, embrace that! Compete in weekly step challenges, most calories burned, and workout contests. This is a great motivator to stay active and keep in touch on a regular basis. Super busy schedule? Use a workout app and challenge each other! No matter where you are, using technology can help you connect and communicate. Check out the Healthy West Orange Carrot app for fun exercise challenges!
– Swing your partner round and round! Ever tried a dance class together? This can be a unique way to encourage teamwork and connection with the other person. Plus, if you’re not familiar with the dance floor, trying something new together can add excitement and humor to your relationship! Check out Studio K for tons of cool dance classes that’ll get you movin’ and groovin’ together.
– Connect and relax. Everyone needs to take a deep breath sometimes. Join your loved one for a yoga class and regain your center. When both people are relaxed, communication and connection come much easier! Check out Warrior One Yoga Winter Garden Windermere for classes that can help you find your zen together.
West Orange Wisdom:
We asked folks in the West Orange community their favorite healthy way to show someone they love them. Here are some great ideas:
- DIY fruit arrangement
- Picnic in the park
- Invite your neighbors or family for a relaxing walk
- Gift a spa day
- Babysit the kids so mom and dad can enjoy a date night
- Surprise them by cleaning the house for them
- Make dinner and have a date night at home
- Prepare their favorite dessert (treating yourself is part of being healthy too!)
- Go for a walk or run together and cheer each other on
- Cook their meal prep meals to help them stay on track with their healthy eating goals
- Take on the morning household chores so they can enjoy a little extra sleep
- Hugs, every day, as many as possible. And then a few more!
Make it a goal to set time aside each week to connect with loved ones. Everyday life can get busy and it’s easy to put communication on the backburner, but the love from a supportive relationship is priceless.