National Bike Month
May is here and that means National Bike Month is too! We want to share some benefits and encourage the community to give biking a try. Here in west Orange County, beautiful weather allows residents to be able to bike 365 days a year! Bike to work, bike to the store, or bike to explore your community, you choose!
Reasons to Bike
- Freedom: Remember that sense of freedom you experienced as a kid when you took off on your bike? You could go anywhere, see new places, there was nothing stopping you! Maybe you have started to lose your sense of wonder since then? Maybe you have been bored with your exercise routine, or even unmotivated to start? Break free from the car doors and ride in the open air. Take a new route to work or bike down new streets. Biking allows you to explore your city in a whole new way.
- Money: Biking to work saves money, fuel money! Not only can you cut back on your fuel expenses, you can double up and get your exercise in at the same time, saving time and money. Double win!
- Fitness: Biking is like jogging, but better for you! It is comparable in calories burned, but it is much easier on your joints, making it a great exercise for all ages. Cycling improves cardio-vascular and aerobic fitness, lowers blood pressure, boosts energy, builds muscle, and improves coordination. There are so many benefits to such a convenient mode of exercise!
- Happiness: It’s just fun. Simply put. Strap on your helmet, grab your cycle and go for a ride.
Ready to ride? Just one more thing!
You know what they say, safety first! Before you put the pedal to the metal, you need to make sure both you and your equipment are safe. Take note of these tips from local bike expert, Dennis Jones, owner of Winter Garden Wheelworks.
Protect your melon:
- With all riding, adult or children should ALWAYS wear a helmet.
- One of the first ways to see if your bike is safe is what we call the bounce test. Bounce the front tire on the ground and if you hear noise, that may mean there is something loose. Try to narrow down where the noise is coming from and tighten what may be loose. Do the same for the rear.
Regular bike maintenance:
- There are two things you can do regularly to keep your bike up and running: be sure to have proper air pressure in the tires and keep the chain lubricated with bicycle specific chain lube.
When in doubt, leave it to a professional:
- If for any reason you think your bike is unsafe to ride, go to a bicycle repair store to get it checked out.
- Bike safety goes two ways. Always alert a rider or walker that you are passing by ringing your bell or horn to politely get their attention.
Let your light shine:
Flashing bike lights for day and night are a great way for drivers to see bicycles.
Alright everyone, be safe and bike on. Be sure to tag us (@HealthyWestOrange) in your biking photos on social media so we can see your adventures!
We Want to Hear from You!
What’s your reason to ride? Where is your favorite place to bike?